Website security company WordFence reports a massive attempt to hack website administrative passwords is underway. They report:
During this time we saw a total of 6,611,909 attacks targeting 72,532 individual websites. We saw attacks during this time from 8,941 unique IP addresses and the average number of attacks per victim website was 6.26.
At TRG Web Designs, we are working with all of our customers to implement steps to ensure their websites are protected against this attack. Our steps include:
- Notifying each of them of this website security threat.
- Ensuring they are employing strong passwords on all administrative accounts.
- Reducing the number of failed login attempts from an IP address before blacklisting it
- Upgrading all plugins and themes to the latest versions.
- Actively monitoring all administrative logins to their sites.
If you are not an existing client with TRG Web Designs but would like to join our website monitoring service, please contact us for a quote.