We recognize that privacy of your personal information is important. This document describes our policy and practices relating to collecting, storing and utilizing information about you.
Information we collect and how we use it
We offer a number of features that do not require you to register for an account or provide any personal information to us. In order to provide a full range of features, we may collect the following types of information:
- Information you provide:
- When you leave a comment or participate in other activities on our website, we may request you to provide information, such as name and/or email address, in order to accurately attribute your comments.
- When you complete a contact form, you provide information so that we may contact you.
- When you subscribe to our mailing list, you provide your name and email address so that we can send you newsletters.
- Cookies: When you visit our site, we may store one or more small files, known as cookies, on your machine that uniquely identifies your browser. These cookies permit us to improve the quality of our service to you. We use Google Analytics to review activity on our site. Google uses a variety of first and third-party cookies as well as other identifiers to track users’ activities on our site. For those who wish to opt out of this tracking, Google provides a tool.
- Log information: Whenever you access our site, our server records information that your browser sends. This information includes your IP address, browser type, language, date and time, and possibly other information.
- Links: Some of our links are designed to track whether the links have been followed. These allow us to determine which features are popular so that we may continue to improve our content. They also allow tracking of activity in response to advertisements on our site.
Choices for personal information
You may choose not to provide us with personal information by avoiding those activities on our site that require it. You may also choose to configure your browser to disable cookies. However, this will degrade the usefulness of our site.
If we propose to use the information that you have provided in a way that is inconsistent with what was described when you provided it, we will request your permission before proceeding.
When we communicate to you via email, we provide an opportunity for you to opt out or unsubscribe from further communications
We will not share your personal information with any other parties, with the following exceptions:
- If disclosure is required by a legally enforceable request.
- If you act in a manner that is detrimental to our site (for example, attempting to circumvent security or prevent access to our server).
We take appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access to your personal information.
Data retention varies depending on the type of information:
Comments: Comments and their metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so that we can display and properly attribute comments. In addition, this permits us to recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users who register on our website, we store the personal information you provide in your user profile. You can see, edit, or delete your personal information at any time (except your username). Website administrators can also see and edit this information.
Email lists: Once you subscribe to our email list, your name is retained indefinitely, even after you unsubscribe. This is so that we have a history of the email communications that we have sent.
Contact forms: Information provided by you in via a contact form is sent via email. This information is retained in our email history. We typically retain our email two years, although this may vary depending on the nature of the communication.
Where we send your data
We may transmit your personal information in the following situations:
- Information submitted to our website may be routed through services that filter out spam, malware and to interrupt malicious activities.
- We backup our website and all of its data on a cloud server.
- We use a service to manage our email subscription list and to distribute newsletters. We send your information to them when you subscribe.