When Kent Allison and Scott Tyler acquired Growl Wear, a specialty T-shirt company, the business included a website with an online store. The new owners were consumed with:
- physically relocating the business and equipment
- learning the operational details required to run the business
- preparing for a major event that constituted a significant portion of the business’s annual sales.
In addition, neither had the expertise to manage the transfer of the website.
TRG Web Designs assumed full responsibility for the website. In a few hours, we:
- transferred the domain to the new owners
- set up a new hosting service
- moved the website to a new server
Then we focused on developing a new website design. After listening to Kent and Scott’s vision and providing options, we completely revamped the site with the features described below.
In our new design of the Growl Wear website, we removed clutter from the home page so that it provided key information and directed visitors to the online store.
Old Home Page Design
New Home Page Design
The Shop Page is the primary entry point to Growl Wear’s online store. In our new website design we improved this by:
- Removing product categories and the need for visitors to access additional pages to view products.
- Displaying the full inventory of products (up to 50 products per page)
- Adding filters across the top which allow users to choose categories, sizes and/or colors. The list of products is instantly updated as the user makes selections.
Old Shop Page Design
New Shop Page Design
Product pages are instrumental in motivating visitors to make a purchase. In our redesign, we:
- Eliminated the box the tabbed section below the image
- Used the space freed to add images of related products to boost sales.
- We added a big, prominently colored Add To Cart button.
- Made it easy for visitors to share the page by adding floating social media buttons along the left margin.
Old Product Page
New Product Page
Responsive Website Design
Works on Tablets and Smartphones
We incorporated responsive website design concepts so the new site works effectively on tablets and smartphones.
The Growl Wear website now detects the size of the user’s screen and formats the pages for that specific device. Which means that customers can browse the store and make purchases from any device.
Search Engine Optimization
We worked with the Growl Wear team to understand the search keywords that were most likely to be used by customers. Then we fine tuned their website using search engine optimization techniques to improve their page rankings. In other words, when customers searched for those keywords, Growl Wear’s pages appeared higher in the listings. We also setup the Sitelinks on Google (as shown in the image to the left) and Bing to maximize the probabilty that searchers will click through to the Growl Wear website.
Other Website Design Services
We implemented a caching engine to improve website performance by decreasing the load time for pages and images.
We implemented complete daily backup of the website through the cloud. This enables us to recover the site quickly, if ever needed.
We wrote custom modules to sync inventory counts with Square and newsletter subscribers with MailChimp.
We provided training on adding new products, blog posts, newsletters and every thing else needed to manage their website.
Online Sales Are Up! Using our new website design, the new owners achieved a 68% increase in online sales during their first seven months of operation compared to the prior year.